Shigeru Group Sustainability Vision
Shigeru Group Vision
|A company that values people and the earth and continues to grow together, and completely recycles resources
Shigeru Group Vision
|A company that recycles resources, uses renewable energy, and enables everyone to experience well-being
Vision and Materiality Formulation Process
Understand Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and sustainability
- 1. Lecture senior executives and managers
- Our top management deepened the understanding of SDGs and sustainability, including sustainable management, the background of SDGs, changes in business, environmental, and social values, and the principles of sustainability.
Understand challenges for sustainability management
- 1. Understand sustainability policies of other companies
- We check sustainability policies and initiatives of our suppliers, other automakers, and their Tier 1 suppliers to understand what impact they make on our company.
- 2. Identify high-priority challenges by using the Future-Fit Business Benchmark*
- We liken the constraints surrounding our company to a funnel. We extract high-priority challenges by using the two key concepts: “Break-Even Goals” that break through the funnel and the “Positive Pursuits” that expand the funnel.
Reconsider company philosophy and policy, and the systems
- 1. Reconsider and examine the current company mission statement, philosophy, and sustainability vision
- We learn the concept of "MDCVS (Mission, Domain, Core values, Vision, and Strategy)” as a base for our philosophy and policy systems. And we reconsider whether the current mission statement, philosophy, and vision of Shigeru Group are appropriate or not according to Step 0 and Step 1.
Identify pillars of success (materiality)
- 1. Examine pillars (materiality) for achieving the vision
- We explore pillars (materiality) to achieve our vision according to Steps 0, 1, and 2. We make a matrix chart to show relationships between important challenges extracted by the Future-Fit Business Benchmark and items needed to be a sustainable company, and organize them in terms of contribution to environment, society, and people. Then we identify six pillars of success (materiality).
*A KPI tool to promote sustainability management
Future-Fit Foundation, a UK-based company, has developed and promoted this tool.
Materiality (pillars of success)
|Pillars of success
|Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
|Deepening and exploring manufacturing
|Use sustainable resources effectively with our technology
Deepen and replace the existing technology
Manufacture products not affected by external environment
*External environment: e.g. coronavirus pandemic, shift to electric vehicles
|Establishment of management base
|Create a system that responds to changes in external environment
Construct new business process
Optimize the management of the entire Shigeru Group
|Well-being of employees
|Create comfortable work environment
Diversify workforce (Respect diverse values)
Ensure fairness and transparency
*Intangible aspect, including treatment and assessment of employees
|Partnership with society and local community
|Provide uplifting life
Coexistence and co-prosperity with our business partners in the supply chain
|Coexistence and co-prosperity with nature （Green Transformation）
|Harmonize with nature in a circular economy
Contribute to a decarbonized society
|Honest and trusted company
|Educate employees and create a company that follows rules
Establish supplier environment management system